In South Africa, Spring comes in September, it’s welcomed warmly after the cooler winter months and paves the way to our festive season.
It’s tradition to spring clean once spring arrives, clean out the clutter that we may have gathered through winter. We usually clean out clothes and other possessions that are no longer needed, but do we do the same for our bodies?
Spring clean your body? Yep, it’s a thing – and if you haven’t yet tried it, you’re going to love this new tradition! Here’s exactly how you can spring clean your eating habits, fitness routine, and other important lifestyle habits.
How to Spring Clean your Eating
If you consider the ways that you’d spring clean your house, you’d probably clean out all the cupboards, the fridge, and other storage areas. You’d throw out things you no longer need, and you’d refresh the items you prefer to keep.
Much the same can be done with your eating habits.
- Take a long hard look at what you’re eating on a regular basis. If your fridge is full of fresh fruits and veggies, but you’re always on the go, grabbing food from takeaways and leaving the spinach to wrinkle in ruins – something needs to change.
- Investigate whether you’re getting enough of what your body needs. An apple a day and veggies for supper is great – but are you giving your body enough protein? Enough fibre?
- Spring clean the junk food! Ok, no, we don’t mean eat it all before the 1st Sept. Although a girl must do what a girl must do. But take note of how much junk food is in your home. Is it more than you’d like to be putting in your body?
Once you’ve accepted what you have been eating and drinking, you can then put into motion a plan to get healthier – and happier!
Spring Cleaning your Fitness
This is possibly the most important. If your fitness routine is boring you, or causing you to hate working out – something needs to change!
- Have a look at your workout choices. Do they energise you? Do you enjoy them? We all have moments where we don’t want to work out, but for the most part you should enjoy and look forward to exercising.
- Your fitness routine should also be focused around the results you’re hoping for. Make sure that if you’re trying to build muscle, your fitness routine includes muscle-building workouts.
- If you haven’t yet found your fit – now is the best time to do so! Try out a Zumba class, go to your neighbourhood bootcamp, or start a new yoga routine in your lounge every morning. Find what works for you and stick with it.
More Ways to Spring Clean Your Body
After sifting through unhealthy eating and useless exercising, you can get your body ready to accept these new, healthy changes.
- Detox – do a juice cleanse, or use detox teas to clean out your digestive system.
- De-stress – the best way to ready your body for its spring cleaning, is to ensure that your mind is calm.
- Don’t forget your skin – while it’s important to clean out the inside of your body, the outside deserves just as much attention. Exfoliate, moisturise, and make sure you’ve cleansed your skin and hair as well.
- Get outside! Allow your lungs some fresh air and get your full dose of Vitamin D.
So, will you be spring cleaning your body? We definitely will be! Time to clean out those grocery lists and clear our fitness plans of all things that aren’t helping.
Let us know how it goes! @jumpingjayns #fitfunhealthy